Sheffield United have refused to give up on signing Nottingham Forest's Dexter Blackstock and they will enquire about his availability again in the near future, Nigel Clough has explained.
Blades had a loan bid accepted by Forest earlier this week, but Blackstock felt that the move wasn't right for him and rejected their approach.
It would have been enough to make other sides turn their attentions to different targets, but Clough is refusing to take no for an answer and he wants to convince Blackstock to move to Bramall Lane.
The Blades boss says that he will submit a second offer for the Forest forward next week and hope that the lure of first-team football will be enough to convince him to agree to a temporary move.
"We keep asking and will go back next week and see if he has changed his mind," he said to the Sheffield Telegraph. "As the week goes on, and it gets closer to the window closing on Thursday, it may change.
“I don’t think it’s that players don’t want to play, they just want to play at that certain level."
The drop to League One football is obviously something that Blackstock does not feel he wants to take, but it could be a good move for him.
The 28-year-old has only made one appearance for the Reds this season and his chances at the City Ground look limited.
Stuart Pearce's men have one of the most intimidating forward lines in the Championship, with the likes of Britt Assombalonga, Michail Antonio and Matty Fryatt all ahead of Blackstock in the selection order.
At Bramall Lane, though, he would likely be a key player due to the Blades' struggles to find a potent front-man.
Marc McNulty and Michael Higdon haven't had the desired impact since arriving in the summer and it is an obvious deficiency in Clough's side as they look to promotion.
Blackstock could solve that problem, but Sheffield Wednesday have also been linked with the striker and it remains to be seen whether they could beat their rivals in the race for his signature.