Juan Mata's third goal of the season secured a 1-0 victory for Manchester United over Crystal Palace on Saturday afternoon. The Spaniard came off the bench during the second half to make his match-winning contribution in the 66th minute.
This result saw Manchester United record their first win in four games, and despite what Louis van Gaal has described as a 'lousy' start to the season, the Red Devils are maintaining the pace with an eye on the top four.
Here are the top five statistics from Saturday's encounter:
1) No Manchester United player has scored more Premier League goals this season than Juan Mata (3), after the Spaniard came off the bench to score the club's winner at Old Trafford. With this being one of two shots that he managed against Palace, he we able to convert 50% of his total chances.
2) On his return to first team action, Michael Carrick gave a man-of-the-match performance for the Red Devils. He impressed in central midfield, with his efforts seeing him record a Premier League weekend best for the number of attempted passes (107) and the most touches (120) managed.
|Michael Carrick||Man Utd vs C. Palace||107||120|
|Wayne Rooney||Man Utd vs C. Palace||81||103|
|Yaya Touré||QPR vs Man City||76||92|
3) Meanwhile, Antonio Valencia - playing in a makeshift role at right-back - made more tackles than any other player in the Premier League (8). The Ecuadorian attempted nine challenges in total, 89% of which were successful.
|Antonio Valencia||Man Utd vs C. Palace||8|
|Victor Wanyama||Southampton vs Leicester||7|
|Aly Cissokho||West Ham vs Aston Villa||6|
4) Angel Di Maria has registered 19 assists in the league in 2014, more than any other player in Europe's top 5 leagues. The Argentine winger has scored one and set up three of Manchester United's last six Premier League goals. He provided the assist for Juan Mata's strike against Palace.
5) Louis van Gaal's side experienced the superior share of possession, maintaining control for 71% of the match. The Red Devils managed 23 shots at goal, yet only five found the intended target. 15 of these attempts game from outside the 18-yard-box.