BBC TV presenter’s eight-year-old daughter expected to make a full recovery from burns after her Halloween costume caught fire
Claudia Winkleman missed last Saturday’s Strictly Come Dancing after her daughter Matilda, eight, suffered burns when her Halloween costume caught fire.
Zoë Ball stepped in to replace Winkleman, who co-hosts the popular TV show, with the BBC initially saying her absence was due to one of her children being unwell.
However, a statement issued on behalf of Winkleman’s family on Tuesday said: “Our daughter was involved in an accident on Friday night while celebrating Halloween. She is having the best care possible and we are hopeful of a full recovery.
“We would like to thank everyone who has been so supportive and particularly the NHS doctors, nurses and staff who have been absolutely incredible. And we would like to take this opportunity to remind anyone taking part in fireworks parties or Guy Fawkes celebrations to be vigilant about the dangers of candles, open fires and fireworks and to please have the appropriate safety measures in place and to hand.”
Winkleman has three children, Jake, Arthur and Matilda, with her husband Kris Thykier, a film producer. This is her first year presenting Strictly with Tess Daly after Sir Bruce Forsyth retired last year.
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010