Greater Manchester Police drops investigation into Mario Balotelli

Balotelli

The Liverpool striker was accused of threatening behaviour but a formal complaint has not been made

Greater Manchester Police have dropped their investigation into alleged threatening behaviour by Mario Balotelli.

Last week the Liverpool striker was in Wythenshawe visiting his biological mother when an altercation was said to have taken place over people taking pictures of his Ferrari.

A report from the BBC Sportsday blog said: "Police will not take any action against Mario Balotelli after the Liverpool striker was accused of using threatening behaviour towards a woman.

"Officers from Greater Manchester Police opened an investigation on Thursday following a complaint from a resident in the Wythenshawe area of Manchester that the 24-year-old had confronted a woman who was taking pictures of his Ferrari.

"However, the woman has now decided not to make a formal complaint and the case has been closed."

It is certainly welcome news for the Italian forward who is under pressure to deliver at Anfield having only scored one goal in his 11 appearances at the club so far, and news of no further investigation for police is likely to be a relief for Balotelli, who can now concentrate on trying to find his form for Liverpool.

The striker had a couple of opportunities to break his scoring duck for the club in the Premier League at the weekend in the Reds' 0-0 draw with Hull City.

He's likely to play a role in tonight's League Cup tie for Liverpool, when they take on Swansea City at Anfield for a place in the quarter-finals.

Register for LIVERPOOL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch