Erik Lamela scored a delicious rabona goal and Harry Kane hit a superb hat-trick as Tottenham emerged as convincing 5-1 winners over Asteras Tripolis in the Europa League at White Hart Lane yesterday evening.
Mauricio Pochettino's side had began life in Group C with frustrating draws against Partizan and Besiktas, but this win produced a far superior performance to those we have witnessed previously.
Here are the top five statistics from last night's encounter:
1) Harry Kane has now scored five goals in his last four games for Tottenham (in all competitions). The England under-21 international has scored or assisted more goals (6) in 8 Europa League appearances than he has in 18 Premier League matches (4).
2) Erik Lamela completed as many take-ons as the entire Asteras team combined (5). The Argentine international had an absolute stormer, converting 50% of his scoring opportunities and 90% of his passes.
3) Etienne Capoue recorded more touches of the ball (89) than any other player in this match, he also played more passes (74), completing 91.9% of his attempts to find a team-mate.
4) Spurs maintained the majority share of possession, maintaining control for 57.3% of the 90 minutes. Nonetheless, this did not translate to the number of shots on goal fashioned by each side. The London outfit's opponents actually managed more attempts - 17.
5) Tottenham have kept only one clean sheet in their last seven home matches in Europe (including qualifying). Having said that, the Lilywhites were unfortunate to concede in yesterday evening's encounter. A clean sheet looked a certainty until Kane's goalkeeping blunder.