Jamie Carragher has never eclipsed the fact that he does not rate Liverpool’s Mario Balotelli as a great striker.
The former Liverpool defender has always held reservations over the recruitment of the Italy international from AC Milan in the summer transfer window.
Following the £16 million summer signing’s disappointing display against Real Madrid in the Champions League Group B clash at Anfield on Wednesday, Carragher said that he does not believe that Balotelli will be a Liverpool player next season.
‘I would be surprised to see him here (at Liverpool) next season, to be honest’, the 36-year-old told Sky Sports. ‘Rafael Benitez was here a few years ago and he bought a striker Robbie Keane.
'And he sold him in January. He was here for three or four months. It may not be that quick, but I would be surprised if Mario Balotelli is at the club next season’.
Although Balotelli has been underwhelming so far at Liverpool, it is a bit premature to suggest that he will be sold next summer. The 24-year-old former Manchester City star has not even made 10 competitive appearances for the Reds.
However, things are starting to crumble. Balotelli swapping shirts with Madrid defender Pepe at half time has not gone down well with the Liverpool fans, especially as he did not make an appearance in the second half (click here to read more).
There can be no denial that former Inter Milan striker Balotelli has been disappointing so far, but he is not the only Liverpool player who is playing below his potential.