La Liga champions Atletico Madrid are said to confident of tying up an £8 million deal for Galatasaray defender Semih Kaya - but reports suggest the player would prefer a move to Manchester United.
The two clubs have been watching the 23-year-old centre-half, and Atletico's Chief Executive Miguel Angel Gil has flown to Istanbul to try and complete a deal ahead of the January transfer window. Nonetheless, Kaya would prefer a move to the Premier League and is hoping that Louis Van Gaal's Reds come in for him.
What more do you need to know before the bidding war begins?
1) United have been tracking Kaya since he broke into the Galatasaray side as 21-year-old back in 2011. Sir Alex Ferguson was known to want to bring the player to Old Trafford only for the Istanbul club to fail to name an asking price.
2) Kaya has made five appearances for Galatasaray this season, playing a full 90 minutes on each occasion. He is yet to miss a minute of domestic action.
3) He has spent his entire career with the Turkish outfit - minus loan spells with Kartalspor and Gaziantepspor. He has been crowned Turkish Super Lig champion three times.
4) During the 2011/12 season Kaya was crowned as Super Lig Young Player of the Year.
5) Kaya has represented his national side at each and every level from under-16 to under-21, making 17 appearances for the senior team.