A few days ago Bungie announced their plans to fix the loot system in Destiny, and just a few hours ago the first patch to address the system went live.
First off there's the Cryptarch, you know the guy at the Tower who decodes those shiny engrams you pick up? Yeah, that guy. Well, now when you get a Legendary (purple) engram and it's decoded it will actually be a Legendary quality item, or better. The same goes for Rare (blue) engrams too.
On the rewards side of things, Rare and Legendary engram drops have been added as potential rewards to Daily Heroic Missions (first time per day) and Weekly Heroic Missions (first time per week). The Vanguard Tiger Strike Playlist also benefits from these drops too.
The Crucible's Bastion and First Light maps within Control and Clash have had their time limits reduced to 12 minutes from 15, and those maps will now appear less often in those playlists too.
The full patch notes from the Bungie update are listed below:
With this patch, we address some widely-discussed concerns with how Engrams are earned and claimed. Strikes have become more rewarding, and the rewards gained from them are more predictable. Also affected is the rotation of maps that appear in the Crucible.
- Legendary (purple) engrams will always produce a Legendary quality item or higher
- Note: Legendary engrams that exist in your inventory will change to Rare quality items when the patch is applied. However, decoding these engrams will still produce the same results as before
- Rare (blue) engrams will always produce a Rare quality item or higher
- Chance for Legendary gear increased
- Materials: Ascendant Shards and Ascendant Energy promoted to Legendary quality (from Rare quality)
- Rare (Blue) and Legendary (Purple) Engram drops added to the potential rewards for:
- Vanguard: Tiger Strike Playlist
- Daily Heroic Missions (first time per day)
- Weekly Heroic Missions (first time per week)
- Known issues
- When selecting a higher difficulty for daily missions, XP Bonus not show in the reward display
- You will still get the XP bonus, you just won't see it in the UI
- Reduced time limit on Bastion and First Light in Control and Clash from 15 to 12 minutes, bringing them in line with non-vehicle maps in those playlists
- Lowered weighting on Bastion and First Light in Control and Clash so they appear less often in those playlists
Bungie.net and the Destiny companion app also received an update which you can check out over here.