First Bungie patch our beloved 'loot caves' and now they're changing the loot system in another patch next week, but this one appears to be addressing some of the bigger concerns in a positive way. Huzzah!
First off we've got those engrams, you know, those super-bright drops from enemies that just beg to be picked up. If you've been playing Destiny you'll no-doubt have noticed that sometimes when you pick up, say, a purple (Legendary) engram, you get so excited about what the loot could be, only to have it decoded by our friend the Cryptarch and it turn into a blue (Rare) piece of gear - hopes and dreams are shattered before your very eyes. Well, Bungie are changing the way that works - basically, if you get a purple engram, it'll always be decoded to purple quality gear, with a chance of a better quality item. And the same goes for blue engrams, they'll produce blue gear with a chance for better items too.
Other changes include the daily heroic, weekly heroic, and vanguard acitivies: the Tiger playlist activities will now include blue and purple engrams, as well as their regular rewards.
There's no set date for when this patch will be applied, Bungie have only said it's coming next week. They also note that any purple engrams you currently have in your inventory will be demoted to blue once the patch goes live, so make sure you decode them ASAP. Although Bungie did say, 'but let’s be honest--even if you don’t, we all know they were blues already...'
The full list of changes are below, as per the Bungie blog update.
Cayde-6 took the Cryptarch aside and showed him a sack of doorknobs. He decoded that mystery pretty quickly.
- Legendary Engrams will always produce Legendary or better quality items, including Materials or Exotics
- Rare Engrams will always produce Rare or better quality items
- Rare engrams will have an increased chance to produce Legendary quality items
- Daily Heroics, Weekly Heroics, and Vanguard: Tiger Playlist activities will include Rare and Legendary Engrams in addition to their existing rewards
- Ascendant materials have been promoted to Legendary to closer associate them with the gear they are used to upgrade
- Legendary Engram items that exist in your inventory will be demoted to Rare quality when the patch goes live, so decode them while you can. But let’s be honest--even if you don’t, we all know they were blues already...
These changes are a welcome relief to many players. No more picking up loot and thinking it's one thing, only to be disappointed that it's something of a lesser quality. Hoorah for transparency!
If you're still wanting to farm some sort of cave for loot, another location has been spotted in the Rocketyard on Earth.
If you've read the above and have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, probably because you're yet to buy or play Destiny, check out my review for a glimpse at what it's like.