We bring you a quick profile of the young defender as he approaches the Manchester United first team.
Manchester United have a plethora of defensive issues to deal with ahead of the upcoming weekend. Tyler Blackett is suspended while Jonny Evans, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling are all out of action.
It leaves just Marcos Rojo as a recognised central defender available for selection this weekend. It has been rumoured that Louis van Gaal could play Daley Blind at the heart of defence. But the manager has instead insisted he will be looking at the youth set-up for a central defensive replacement.
One name reportedly an option is 19-year-old Paddy McNair.
So what can we tell you about the talented Manchester United youngster, who is battling Tom Thorpe for a starting spot this weekend?
Here are five facts on Paddy McNair...
1) McNair signed for United when he was just 16-years-old, joining from County Aintrim based side Ballyclare Colts.
2) McNair was signed as a young promising midfielder but was converted into the centre-back position during, ironically, an injury crisis in the youth ranks.
3) McNair is now a Northern Ireland under-21 international. He was called up by Jim Magilton for the recent 4-1 defeat to Serbia in Portadown.
4) The defender played in the UEFA Youth League last season but was sent off in the opening game of the competition against Bayer Leverkusen.
5) McNair was the hero last season in the under-21 league campaign. He scored a last ditch effort against Reading to secure a top four place for the Young Red Devils. The senior side would love a similar impact.