Manchester City latest: Pellegrini not worried by Welbeck, FFP played role in Negredo move

Alvaro Negredo MCFC

All the latest news, views and transfer stories from the Etihad…

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini has revealed that Financial Fair Play restrictions influenced Alvaro Negredo’s move to Valencia.

Negredo returned to La Liga last week on a season-long loan deal that will be made permanent next summer, despite the transfer leaving the club with just three first-team front men in Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko and Stefan Jovetic.

However, the injured Spaniard was set to be left out of the club’s 21-man Champions League squad, which was reduced for breaching FFP rules, while a net summer spending restriction of £49 million also put pressure on Pellegrini to sell him on.

‘The decision for Alvaro Negredo to go was for two very important reasons,’ he told Sky Sports.

‘the first was that we have the restriction for the number of the players we can use in the Champions League.

‘We had one player more, [and] we could not use Alvaro, who was injured, so he was the player who was not going to be on the list.

‘For him, it was very important because he wanted to go back to Spain, so I thought it was the best decision for the club.

‘But it all starts from the restriction about the number of players. We have restrictions about the amount of players and the money we can spend.’

Meanwhile, while injuries have ruled Stefan Jovetic and Fernando out of tomorrow’s Premier League clash against Arsenal, both loanee Frank Lampard and £32 million summer signing Eliaquim Mangala could be in line for their debuts.

The 23-year-old Frenchman has been earning the praises of fellow centre-back Dedryck Boyata in the meantime, who believes his new teammate has all the tools to be a big hit in England.

‘I get on very well with him because we have so many friends in common,’ he told the Manchester Evening News. ‘He’s half-Belgian half-French, he’s a good player, he’s a tough defender, really tight on the men.

‘He’s quick. He’s a really good player, I understand that the fans want to see him but they will.’

Saturday’s opposition could also have high-profile debutant in their lineup, with Danny Welbeck looking set to make his first appearance since a £16 million transfer deadline move from Manchester United.

Pellegrini, though, is unconcerned about the potential threat the England international might pose, and doesn’t believe his Reds past adds much extra spice to the matchup.

‘I think I have enough problems analysing my team and my players than to talk about other opinions on different players or other teams,’ he was quoted in MEN Sport.

‘It doesn't matter the name of the player. I always think that playing with big teams you will have different names but all very good players.

‘In this case, Welbeck did very well in his national squad. I don't know if we will play or not so I cannot answer.’

Register for MANCHESTER CITY team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch