Orlando Bloom set to board Pirates of the Caribbean 5

Orlando Bloom at Comic Con 2014

Orlando Bloom has held talks with Hollywood producers over a return to the Pirates of the Caribbean series, the British actor has revealed.

Speaking at Oz Comic-Con in Brisbane, Bloom said he was considering a return in forthcoming fifth instalment Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. The actor appeared as blacksmith-turned-pirate Will Turner in the first three films in the series, but sat out 2011's On Stranger Tides.

Bloom said: "There have certainly been some discussions about it and I'm open to it. That whole experience working with Johnny and (director) Gore (Verbinski) was really amazing for me.

"One of the reasons I jumped at the opportunity was because Johnny was involved. I was such a massive fan of Johnny Depp growing up so to get up close and personal to Johnny and see how he worked as an actor was just a massive gift."

Dead Men Tell No Tales is due to shoot in Queensland after the Australian government agreed to hand tax incentives worth $20.2m (£12.5m) to studio Disney earlier this month. The sequel will reportedly be filmed at Village Roadshow Studios on the Gold Coast, which is equipped with several tanks suitable for the production. Disney has also scouted locations in the north of the state, with its tropical rainforests and access to the Great Barrier Reef.

The Pirates of the Caribbean series has so far taken $3.7bn at the global box office. Depp will return in the lead role of Captain Jack Sparrow in Dead Men Tell No Tales, with the film due to hit cinemas in summer 2017. Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, the Norwegian directors of the 2012 drama Kon-Tiki, are set to direct.

• Pirates of the Caribbean 5 gets green light to shoot in AustraliaPowered by Guardian.co.ukThis article was written by Ben Child, for theguardian.com on Tuesday 9th September 2014 11.43 Europe/London

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010