However Hamilton was just 0.61 seconds shy of Rosberg, despite missing almost an hour of the session when his car failed to start up. It ends a run of six successive P1s in second practice for Hamilton, though the Brit failed to score pole in any of those race weekends.
Ferrari showed well at their home track, with Kimi Raikkonen a mere tenth oFf Hamilton in P3 and his team-mate Fernando Alonso fourth. Valtteri Bottas was fifth, and though the Finn was half a second shy of P1 the Williams appears to have very strong long-run pace.
Elsewhere, the Lotus cars were clearly struggling badly. Pastor Maldonado was 18th, behind the Marussia of Jules Bianchi, while team-mate Romain Grosjean was 20th, ahead of only the two Caterhams. Kamui Kobayashi's return to F1 saw him narrowly beat team-mate Marcus Ericsson, the Swede once again propping up the timesheets.
Italian Grand Prix - Free Practice 2 - Top 10
- Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)
- Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)
- Valtteri Bottas (Williams-Mercedes)
- Jenson Button (McLaren-Mercedes)
- Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault)
- Kevin Magnussen (McLaren-Mercedes)
- Felipe Massa (Williams-Mercedes)
- Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull-Renault)