Trion Worlds announce experimental Oculus functionality is available for Rift
Oculus VR support for Rift is currently set up on the game’s PTS client, with plans to add it to the game prope later this week. Trion explain in a forum post that Oculus Rift support is only experimental for the time being, stating that it, “reserves the right to disable or remove it at any time.”
Trion state that DK1 and DK2 devs kits can be tried out, but note that there will be a few issues. Unless you’re using a very powerful rig, framerate should generally be expected to half if what it should be when playing the game in Oculus mode. Ui support is very minimal, with the game currently only able to render the pointer on one eye at a time. Trion also say Oculus mode will accentuate some existing lighting/shadow bugs adding, ”they're not too bad, but you may want to turn shadows off and/or lower lighting quality to 3, to avoid the worst of these issues.”
Trion have provided the following instructions to get your Oculus headset set up with the game:
- Make sure your Oculus headset is configured in Extend Desktop mode, not Direct mode.
- Start Rift normally and login to the game.
- Adjust your Rift game window to be the same resolution as your Oculus headset. (1920 x 1080 for the DK2, 1280 x 800 for the DK1)
- Activate Oculus mode with the following slash command: /oculus 1
- Position your Rift window so that it is on extended desktop of the Oculus device.