Here are 7 things a front office employee needs to be a success.
1. Luck - your most successful trades will probably be more down to luck than judgement.
2. The ability to walk away from a bad trade - it can be fatal to fall in love with a losing position.
3. The bottle / nerve to hold onto a losing trade which could recover and make your year. Understand the concept of risk / reward.
4. Strong political awareness - it's never a good idea to complain about your boss, even if he is an idiot.
5. An understanding of where to draw the line - constantly bad-mouthing Compliance and exceeding your limits will catch up with you in the end; remember, you will lose your 'hero' status as soon as you start losing money.
6. Good corporate commitment - no-one wants a loan wolf or cowboy anymore. You need to be seen to fit in.
7. The ability to switch-off, and not engage in excessive behaviour of any kind, including too much drink and drugs of any kind (that's so 1990s).