Former Chelsea striker Tony Cascarino says Petr Cech should leave the club, following Jose Mourinho’s decision to hand the number one job to Thibaut Courtois.
Cech had been Chelsea’s undisputed first-choice since joining from Rennes in 2004 for £7 million, making 479 appearances in his 10 seasons in North London, while winning three Premier League titles, four FA Cups, three League Cups, the 2012 Champions League and the 2013 Europa League.
However, with the promising Courtois winning the battle between the two to start the Premier League opener against Burnley last Monday, Cascarino believes the 32-year-old shouldn’t settle for backup role at this stage of his career like his predecessor Carlo Cudicini.
‘It’s very hard. Petr Cech’s 32 and he’s not going to like it,’ he told Sky Sports News HQ.
‘He’s been absolutely superb for Chelsea over the years but, unfortunately for him, he’s up against an even better goalkeeper, I feel.
‘And, at 32 years old, you want to play football. You don’t want to be sitting on the bench, doing what Cudicini did, so I think it’ll be very difficult for Chelsea to keep him.
‘I think he could force the issue. Why? Because he’s a football player. Don’t sit on the bench, go and play. Petr Cech’s achieved far too much to want to stay.’
Still one of the top keepers in the game, Cech won’t have a lack of suitors if he does demand a move before the close of the transfer window but, as an undoubted club legend, such an outcome will no doubt fill Chelsea fans with a great deal of sadness.