At the end of last month a fee of around £14 million was agreed between the two clubs but it appears that Borini wants to stay and fight for his place at Anfield.
Though Liverpool seemed prepared to let him go, extra personnel in the forward area will do little harm for manager Brendan Rodgers, after he admitted after yesterday's 2-1 opening day victory over Southampton that he was looking to strengthen his striking options.
The Liverpool boss said after yesterday's game: "I do still think we need another strike. It is something that we will look at but that will depend on the availability of one. Sunday was about winning and we got there.
"So we will search for that through to the end of the window but you see the players, the quality that we have.”
One of the forwards the Reds have been linked with is Radamel Falcao from Monaco. The Reds have made an enquiry for the prolific Colombian star, but according to the Daily Mirror, the Reds face stiff competition from Juventus, as it appears Falcao's immediate future lies away from the principality.
Rickie Lambert is the only forward who has been brought into Liverpool this summer, and made his debut as a second half substitute in the win against his former club.
He told the Liverpool Echo: “Obviously, it was special from the Liverpool fans with me making my debut and realising a dream. And it was special from the Southampton fans too.
“I thought they showed a lot of respect to me and I really appreciate that.
“I tried to show it back when I left the pitch. I’ve got nothing but respect for Southampton and the fans especially.”