South coast latest: Saints accept £3m Cork offer; Buckley signs 3-year deal with Sunderland

Southampton Huddle

We bring you news from Southampton, Brighton and Hove Albion, Bournemouth and Portsmouth.

Jack Cork close to signing for Crystal Palace

The 25-year-old midfielder is poised to sign for Southampton's Premier League rivals today, according to a report in the Daily Mail.

An offer of £3 million from Crystal Palace has been accepted by the club, and Cork could be their eighth departure of the summer so far.

The Chelsea academy graduate has only a year remaining on his contract at Southampton and terms for an extension were never agreed upon, so the club are selling now to avoid losing him for nothing at the end of next season.

Cork was a consistent figure in the Southampton midfield last season and made 28 Premier League appearances during the campaign. His sale would surely be another blow to the Saints who are attempting to rebuild the squad after the summer fire sale that has raised more than £95 million in funds.

Will Buckley to be a Sunderland player 24 hours

This morning it was reported by the Chronicle Live that Sunderland were aiming to make Brighton winger Will Buckley a Black Cats player within 24 hours.

The two clubs reached an agreement yesterday with a fee of around £2.5 million to be paid by Sunderland for the 24-year-old's services.

Now it has been confirmed that the deal is done - with Buckley signing a three-year deal.

Gus Poyet is a huge admirer of the wide man, and signed him from Watford during his spell in charge of the Seagulls in 2011.

Bournemouth youngster delighted with debut

The Cherries' 19-year-old defender Baily Cargill made his debut for the club in their 2-0 Carling Cup victory over Exeter City on Tuesday night.

Bournemouth's youngster was a consistent figure during pre-season and was delighted to get his first competitive start for the club.

He told the Daily Echo: “It was something I had dreamed of for a long time and I feel very proud. It was an incredible day for me, my family and everyone around me and I really appreciate the manager giving me the opportunity.

“When the manager told me, I was ecstatic because I had waited a long time for this. All the lads were really pleased and helped me prepare which settled me and got rid of the nerves." 

New keeper needed for Portsmouth

According to the Portsmouth News, Pompey are on the lookout for a goalkeeper to bring in on short-term long after new recruit Michael Poke suffered an injury in training.

Poke damaged his achilles in training on Monday and his length of absence is currently unknown.

Pompey's first-choice keeper, Paul Jones, was also recruited this summer, and manager Andy Awford is reportedly keen on bringing in a backup for Saturday home match against Cambridge United.

Awford said: "Michael has picked up a bit of an Achilles injury. There was no particular incident which caused it, he has just come off and it’s a bit sore.

"We’ve had a look at it and it’s a sore Achilles. If he carries on it is going to get worse and there’s no point in doing that.

"So we will try to bring another goalkeeper in before the weekend on a short-term contract. Once Michael is fit we will shake hands and he can go back to where he has come from."

Register for CHELSEA team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch