Former Manchester United star Phil Neville has been forced to clarify his comments about last season being a ‘disaster’ under David Moyes - not by choice but because of circumstance.
The 37-year-old was part of the Red Devils’ first-team coaching staff last season, but recently decided to leave that position and pursue a career in television punditry this summer.
Speaking on the BBC's Test Match Special, the former Everton star, who could play both in defence and in midfield, said: 'I was involved last year and it was an absolute disaster from start to finish. We must all take responsibility, not just David Moyes. I take responsibility and so does everyone involved’.
Neville did not seem to suggest that Moyes was the main reason behind United’s disappointing Premier League campaign in which they finished as low as seventh.
What the former England international said was that the whole season was ‘an absolute disaster’ and accepted his responsibility in the events that unfolded in the 2013-14 campaign.
However, well-known journalist Bob Cass misinterpreted Neville’s comments and made the following post on social networking site Twitter on Saturday.
The pilloring of Moyes continues - this time with Phil Neville trying to make a name for himself as a pundit.— Bob Cass (@Bob_Cass) August 9, 2014
"@Bob_Cass:The pilloring of Moyes continues -with Phil Neville trying to make a name for himself as a pundit. Get ur facts right bob please— Philip Neville (@fizzer18) August 9, 2014
However, the duo subsequently spoke to each other on the phone, after which the journalist apologised, with Neville himself clarifying his comments on Twitter.
Just to clarify -the disaster was for me last season in that fact i failed and that it didn't work out - no one else!— Philip Neville (@fizzer18) August 9, 2014
Had a call from Phil Neville. Happy to apologise for Moyes tweet. My error was taking my context from Mail On Line's version of the story.— Bob Cass (@Bob_Cass) August 9, 2014
This is not the first time that Cass has been in trouble with a United-related footballing figure. Back in August 2011, he wrote an article for the Daily Mail about Red Devils manager Sir Alex Ferguson growing frustrated with Wesley Sneijder’s wage demands and pulling the plug on a deal to sign the Netherlands international midfielder, who was then on the books of Italian club Inter Milan.
Ferguson was not pleased with that article and made it clear to Cass in public, as shown in the video below: