Guillem Balague has added further credence to Arsene Wenger’s claim that Arsenal were never close to signing Sami Khedira.
The Spanish football expert says that Arsenal never lodged a firm bid to try and sign the German midfielder and even if they had they would have found their chances limited.
Khedira, who is reportedly on £150,000 per week, has no intention of taking a pay-cut to leave Real Madrid, according to Balague, and he would therefore not have fit in with Arsenal’s wage structure.
Khedira: Arsenal made no offer whatsover to Real. No wage agreement as he is far too expensive. He has no intention (as yet) to reduce wages— Guillem Balague (@GuillemBalague) August 8, 2014
Having been linked with Khedira all summer, yesterday Wenger said that his side had never been as close to signing the defensive midfielder as many reports has suggested.
The French boss said: "I don't know who has put Khedira on the market - is it his agent or the press?
"We were never close to signing him. Jack Wilshere is back fit and in midfield we have offensive midfielders and quite a few box-to-box players."
Even so, Balague’s update will be a slight disappointment to an optimistic few Arsenal fans who were hoping that Wenger was simply trying to keep his transfer activities on the down-low.
It is thought that the Gunners could go back in for a defensive midfielder this summer, but it appears that Khedira isn’t their target.
They have also been linked with William Carvalho, of Sporting Lisbon, in recent times, but the Portuguese side confirmed today that no offers had been submitted for him showing that Arsenal are some way off concluding any deal they may be in for.
If they could secure the signing of a bid-name central midfielder, it might just be the missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle for Wenger.
This Arsenal squad looks the strongest in some time, but there is still a feeling that one more midfield addition is lacking if they want to win the Premier League.
The signing of Khedira would have placed them right up amongst the favourites, but that deal certainly appears dead-in-the-water now following this confirmation – with the 27-year-old set to stay at Real Madrid.