Tottenham Hotspur have never been ones for doing things by halves, which goes some way to explaining why they are among the headlines again after reportedly launching a £15.8 million bid for an unknown French youngster.
AS Monaco striker Anthony Martial may not be a household name, but at just 18 he’s already being talked up as a future France World Cup star and the natural successor to Thierry Henry.
But what do we actually know about this bright young forward? Read on for five fascinating stories about the Principality Club’s crown jewel.
1. The ‘new Henry’ moniker doesn't just reference the fact that, like the Arsenal legend, Martial possess great ball skills and electric pace – they also come from the same Paris suburb of Massy. Spurs fans could be in line for a different kind of déjà vu.
2. While Falcao’s injury last term put pay to the Colombian’s World Cup chances, it actually opened the door for Martial who had been previously struggling for game time since moving to the club from Lyon. He impressed enough to maintain a place in the team at the back-end of last season, scoring twice in nine games, including this well-taken goal against Guingamp.
3. Former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri gave Martial his big break. The Italian was in charge at AS Monaco when the 17-year-old Lyon start was first brought to his attention. Ranieri didn’t waste any time, with the Principality Club signing the forward for €5 million. A few months later, Ranieri was gone.
4. Martial’s former Lyon teammate and Swansea new boy Bafetimbi Gomis was blamed by the club for the sale of the youngster to Monaco. Two years ago Lyon were desperate to sell Gomis, who had a year left on his deal. But the striker failed to agree a move away, opting to see out his contract and leave on a free. With Lyon keen to balance their books ahead of an announcement on the Paris Stock Exchange, a €5 million bid for Martial was accepted.
"Having not been able to complete the move of any player approached for a transfer by 30 June, notably Bafetimbi Gomis, the club considered Monaco's offer for Anthony Martial," a statement said. The club will recoup extra funds on any future deal, however, as part of a sell-on clause.
5. Martial has attracted plenty of transfer interest during his brief time at AS Monaco, with the most recent rumoured offer coming from Wolfsburg in Germany. They are not the only Bundesliga side to show an interest either, with Schalke also thought to be following his progress. Meanwhile, two of Thierry Henry’s former employers are also believed to be keen on the forward, with Juventus and Arsenal both keeping close tabs on the striker – Tottenham fans you have been warned!