While Manchester United’s senior squad prepare for a new season in the USA, their younger players are attempting to defend the Milk Cup youth tournament they won 12 months ago.
And they certainly went the right way about it by defeating Australian side Goal Coast Academy 11-0 on Monday.
Marcus Rashford and Obi Ogochukwu scored two each, while Zachery Dearnley, Travis Johnson and Jordan Thompson also scored. But the star of the show was Demetri Mitchell, who netted four of United’s goals.
Big things are expected of Mitchell, so for those United fans wanting to know more about him, here are five facts to get you started:
1) Born in January 1997, Mitchell has been impressive for United’s youth teams since joining in 2013. Goals against the likes of Bayern Munich and Leicester City are perfect examples of what he is capable of.
2) A player with considerable pace, he is a winger who loves to challenge his man and go past players, exactly the type of wide-man United fans love.
3) The winger has played seven times for England’s under-16s and 12 times for his country’s under-17s. He scored three goals in the former age-group and has one so far in the latter.
4) Mitchell was part of the England under-17 squad that won the under-17 European Championship earlier this year.
5) The teenager has previously revealed that he looks up to United teammate Wayne Rooney, and Mitchell recently said that he has aspirations of playing for the England senior side at future World Cups.