The Uruguayan winger has been linked with Sunderland, so what do their fans need to know about him?
The Uruguayan winger has found game-time hard to come by in the Spanish capital in recent times, and Black Cats manager Gus Poyet has admitted he is interested in bringing his countryman to the Stadium of Light.
Sunderland have so far had a transfer window to forget, with Poyet for the most part struggling to recruit the players who can take them forward next season. But if he does manage to sign Rodriguez it would be a huge boost.
For those fans wanting to know more about the player, here are five facts to get you started:
1) Cristian Gabriel Rodriguez Barotti was born in Montevideo in 1985. He played as a youth for Penarol and would later join their senior side, making his debut in 2002.
2) Predominantly an out and out left-winger, Rodriguez can also play as a left-sided midfielder and a central midfielder when required.
3) The player moved to Paris Saint-Germain in 2005, going on to make 41 appearances for the club. He would later play 33 matches on loan at Benfica before moving to Portugal permanently with a switch to FC Porto, where he featured 119 times.
4) Rodriguez has played 86 times for his current club Atletico. He has scored four goals and provided three assists for the club since his move in 2012.
5) The reported Sunderland target has 77 caps for Uruguay having made his debut in 2003. He has scored eight goals in that time.