A star of Serie A since his transfer from Bayer Leverkusen in 2011 and a stand-out performer from the recent World Cup tournament in Brazil, midfielder Arturo Vidal finds himself at the centre of a high-profile transfer tug-of-war between his current employer Juventus and interested party Manchester United.
Previously, it had been suggested that the 27-year-old would be the subject of a €54 million (£42.5 million) bid from United, who were readying a firm statement of intent regarding their ambitions to sign the versatile athlete.
Even in Gazzetta dello Sport in translated reports that surfaced overnight, the player was seemingly misquoted as Chilean sensation Vidal claimed that he was still currently on holiday, would engage Massimiliano Allegri in dialogue on Monday but reminded reporters that he was happy in Turin. He even said that, presently, he is not going to Manchester.
Now, chief executive of the Serie A's Old Lady Giuseppe Marotta has added his comment on the situation, on Vidal's contract and the club's eagerness to retain ownership of one of the stars in the premier Italian division.
He said: "It’s very simple. Vidal extended his contract with us last season, as there was a mutual desire to continue this rapport. There is no reason for him to leave. Yesterday he gave an interview in a rushed and embarrassed manner, as he was getting his luggage and so he was misinterpreted.
"I can confirm Vidal is happy to be with us and there’s no reason for alarm. He had problems with the knee injury and rushing the recovery for the World Cup, so it will take a while to find his fitness.
"Nobody can doubt the quality of the player, nor how strong his bond is with Juventus."
Vidal, 27, has his prime years ahead of him and, in the Serie A last season, was responsible for attempting 130 tackles, creating 47 goal-scoring opportunities and returning 11 goals and five assists. Alongside Ander Herrera he could complete a fresh, new-look and elite-level midfield.