A brief wander through the wonderful world of back page news this week would have any Arsenal fan excited at the prospect the Gunners are pursuing their ‘interest’ in AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli.
Despite the fact Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insisted just under a month ago that the North London club is in no way interested in the former Manchester City striker, the rumours have returned.
“That’s pure invention,” Wenger told Ruud Gullit on live TV during the World Cup in Brazil, when the Dutchman quizzed him on Balotelli’s links with Arsenal.
“We cannot believe absolutely everything that is the Internet or in the newspapers but sometimes it’s created by agents…but in that case, it’s not true.”
Not content with Wenger’s dismissal last month, it appears the newspapers have also missed Wenger’s comments earlier this week:
“Up front we don’t need any more”, Wenger told Arsenal Player.
Just in case that slipped by the journalists, AC Milan chief Adriano Gallini insisted on Monday that the Serie A outfit had not received any bids from Arsenal for the player.
"There's no offer from Arsenal," he stated.
There is more than one very good reason that Arsenal won’t sign Mario Balotelli this summer but the big one is that Arsene Wenger has said the Gunners will not bring in any more players up front.