Manchester United latest: Van Gaal unhappy with tour schedule, Giggs praises Rooney

Louis Van Gaal

News, views and rumours relating to Manchester United in the past 24 hours.

Louis van Gaal is prepared to give Manchester United’s ‘underperformers’ a chance before he strides into the transfer market.

“I have told the club I won’t do anything until I know the players here. When I am the coach and I give the orders to play a certain way I want to see how they perform,” said the Dutch coach.

"I want to give all players the chance to show themselves under my guidance.”

Meanwhile, the club will ‘bow’ to Louis van Gaal’s demands over their pre-season tour of the USA, according to The Guardian, as the manager does not think “dreadful distances” are an ideal way to prepare for a new season.

Louis van Gaal criticised the squad’s tour schedule in his press conference today.

"You have to travel distances, you have to fly a lot, you also have jetlag - that is not very positive for a good preparation," he said.

The club is also preparing to let Van Gaal break their transfer record this summer, according to The Guardian in a report that suggests chief executive Ed Woodward has given the manager the ‘green light’ to chase Mats Hummels, Daley Blind and Thomas Vermaelen.

However, Borussia Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp has described stories of a move for Hummels as “bull****”.

"If that's not a bullsh*t story, I'll eat a broomstick," said the Bundesliga giants’ coach.

Manchester United take on LA Galaxy tonight in Los Angeles for their opening match of the tour of the USA. The game will be broadcast live on MUTV at 3.30am Thursday morning GMT.

Striker Wayne Rooney is hopeful of featuring this evening as assistant manager Ryan Giggs described the No.10 as looking ‘sharp’.

“Wayne really wants to start. Everyone will be involved in the first game. Wayne looks good. Actually all of the World Cup lads have come back looking really sharp,” stated Giggs.

In transfer news, The Mirror claims Argentina winger Angel Di Maria could be maid ‘available’ by Real Madrid, putting United on ‘alert’ over the attacking midfielder.

The Independent reports on claims United have submitted a £39 million bid for Arturo Vidal after the Chilean midfielder revealed he had received contact from United earlier this month.

Finally, fringe player Bebe reportedly told fans he will leave United after being left out of the squad currently on the pre-season tour. He is said to have shouted to fans, “I go, I go” when quizzed on his future after playing 45 minutes in a reserve team match against Southport.

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch