Madrid fans overlook Arsenal linked 'keeper as No.1 for next season

Iker Casillas

Real Madrid fans have been voting for their first-choice goalkeeper for the coming season

Real Madrid’s fans have overlooked Arsenal target Iker Casillas in a poll asking for their choice of the number one jersey next season.

The poll, formed by Spanish outlet Marca, asked Real fans whether they would rather Casillas or Costa Rica hero Keylor Navas to begin the season in goal at the Bernabéu.

Casillas only notched up 30% of the votes, with Navas taking the clear majority with the remaining 70%. The 27-year-old is yet to be officially unveiled as a Madrid player, but is highly expected to add to Carlo Ancelotti’s goalkeeping options this summer.

Arsenal have been linked with taking Casillas on a free transfer, after the Spanish captain reportedly wanted a move following a 15-year stay with the club.

The Gunners have been linked with keepers all summer following the departure of Lukasz Fabianski to Swansea last month. Arsene Wenger was reportedly interested in signing Cardiff City goalkeeper David Marshall, after his record 163 saves in the Premier League last season impressed the football world.

Marshall though had been priced at around £15million by Cardiff sources, a fee that would have made him one of the most expensive goalkeepers in history. The Marshall speculation has now died down, with Casillas emerging as the new transfer target at the Emirates.

Navas won three man of the match awards for Costa Rica during their World Cup campaign in Brazil. He helped them shock Italy, England and Uruguay to escape a group where they were given no chance, and went close to sealing a semi-final place, only to lose on penalties to the Netherlands.

The Costa Rica man is imminent in Madrid, and it will help to know that the fans are in favour of his services over one of Real Madrid’s legends.

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch