South coast latest: Jay Rodriguez offered new deal, Derby chase Brighton winger

Southampton Fans

Today's south coast latest brings you news from Southampton, Bournemouth, Brighton and Hove Albion and Portsmouth.

Southampton offer Jay Rodriguez new five-year deal

In order to fend off interest from Premier League rivals Liverpool, Southampton have reportedly offered star striker Jay Rodriguez a new five-year contract.

Sky Sports reporter Amy Lewis broke the story on Twitter, and it has since been retweeted by the main Sky Sports News Twitter handle. It has since been reported by several other outlets.

Reports have been circling over the past few days that Brendan Rodgers was going in for his third Southampton raid this summer by making an offer for the English forward.

Liverpool are a little lighter in attacking options with the transfer of Luis Suarez to Barcelona in a huge £75 million deal.

Rodriguez is currently recovering from a serious knee injury that kept him out of the World Cup and will see him miss the start of the 2014/15 Premier League campaign.

Provided he signs it will be huge boost to Ronald Koeman's plans of building a better Southampton squad than they had last season under Mauricio Pochettino.

Bournemouth youngster eyes Premier League future

Bournemouth fullback Adam Smith is targeting a big season in the Championship as he sets his sights on playing in the Premier League.

The 23-year-old came through the young ranks at Tottenham Hotspur and only went on to make one first team appearance before being shipped on loan to seven different clubs.

The Cherries being one of those clubs eventually took up the option to sign Smith on a permanent deal offering him a three-year contract back in January.

He has only made 2 appearances for Bournemouth since then, and is looking for more game time in the season ahead.

He told The Daily Echo: “This is a very important season for me. I need to be playing because I`m not getting any younger and my aim is still to get into the Premier League.

“With what I have shown before, I believe I am very capable of getting there but I need a good season of pure games and that`s what I`m looking to do.”

Derby keen on Brighton's Kazenga LuaLua

Derby County are thought to be interested in making a move for Congolese-born Brighton winger Kazenga LuaLua, according to the Football League World.

Younger brother to former Portsmouth striker Lomano LuaLua, Kazenga was signed from Newcastle in 2010 after three successive loan spells with the Seagulls.

The 23-year-old winger made 34 appearances last season scoring two goals and making five assists. It's believed that LuaLua is frustrated at being consistently used as a substitute, as 23 of his appearances have come from the bench.

Rams boss, Steve McClaren, is looking to make his sixth signing of the transfer window and bolster his squad in order to challenge for promotion to the Premier League again this season.

Pompey loanee can add extra dimension says boss

Portsmouth manager Andy Awford believes new loan signing, Miles Storey, can add an extra dimension to their attacking line-up this coming season.

Storey joined on season-long loan from Swindon Town last Thursday. The 20-year-old can play as a striker or on either wing, and it's this versatility that is exciting the Pompey manager.

Awford told The Portsmouth News: "If I want Miles to play up top on his own I can, if I want to play him alongside a big man I can, if I want to play him wide and we look to expose a certain area of the pitch through his pace I can.

"If I need him to come off the bench late on I can, and when things are getting a bit more open and players starting to get fatigued I can.

"There are lots of options with him and I am looking forward to seeing what he can do."

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch