Balague claims Suarez to Barcelona 'within 48 hours'

Suarez Liverpool

Respected Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague says that Luis Suarez’s move from Liverpool to Barcelona will be confirmed ‘within 48 hours’.

Respected Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague has said that Luis Suarez’s transfer from Liverpool to Barcelona will be complete in the next 48 hours.

Balague, who works for Sky Sports and AS, took to social networking site Twitter on Tuesday evening to make his comment.

Suarez is widely expected to leave the Reds for Barca this summer, after it emerged last week that the two clubs have started negotiating.

It was initially reported that Liverpool have accepted an offer from Barcelona for around £62 million, but it then emerged that it was not plain sailing. The Spanish giants were said to be hoping to make the payment in stages, which the Merseyside outfit did not agree to.

However, judging by Balague’s latest comments, all those problems – if indeed they were there – have been resolved.

Liverpool had always maintained that Suarez is not for sale this summer, and the player himself had insisted on several occasions that he is happy at Anfield.

However, the Uruguay international’s unsavoury behaviour at the ongoing 2014 World Cup finals appears to have convinced the Reds hierarchy to part company with the player who was the key reason why they finished second in the Premier League last season.

With 27-year-old Suarez now looking likely to move to Barcelona, the big question for Liverpool is who will replace him.

Register for LIVERPOOL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch