North-East latest: Debuchy's Twitter hint; Sunderland miss out on target

St James Park

We bring you the latest news from Newcastle United, Sunderland and Middlesbrough

1) Newcastle lose out on two striker targets

Newcastle United are set to continue their search for a striker, after missing out on Pierre-Michel Lassoga and Alexandre Lacazette.

Alan Pardew has already admitted that finding a player to lead the line for his Newcastle side this summer has been problematic, and his frustrations are going to rise after today’s news.

The Magpies were thought to have a shortlist of three potential attackers to fill the void in their current squad, with Lassoga and Lacazette both on the list, but the club will have to look elsewhere now, after missing out on the duo.

Lassoga has completed a move to Hamburg, whilst Lacazette says he will only leave Lyon for a club who are Champions League contenders.

2) Mathieu Debuchy removes Newcastle United from his Twitter bio

Newcastle United defender has removed the club’s name from his Twitter bio, amid rumours that he is set to move to Arsenal this summer.

Although there is a danger of reading too much into news like this, there seems to be credence behind this particular social media story, given Debuchy appears to have has heart set on a move away from St. James’ Park.

The French international is currently staring at the World Cup for his nation, but is expected to complete a move to the Gunners upon his return to England.

3) Sunderland miss out on Ashley Williams

Sunderland have missed out on defensive transfer target, Ashley Williams, as the Swansea player has signed a new deal at his current club.

Guys Poyet’s men had made a bid for £4 million to try and secure the signing of Williams earlier in the transfer window, but Swansea have managed to tie down their captain by offering him a new long-term contract.

Williams has signed a four-year deal to keep him in Wales, and told the club’s official website that he was ‘delighted’ to be staying at Swansea for the foreseeable future, leaving Sunderland to look elsewhere for additions.

4) Jozy Altidore given extended summer break

Sunderland striker, Jozy Altidore, has been granted an extra two-week break by the club, after his World Cup was cut short by injury.

Altidore was set to be one of the USA’s central players for the tournament, but ended up picking up an injury in the first-half of his nation’s opening game against Ghana, which ruled him out of the competition.

And now Sunderland are allowing him to get back to full-fitness before returning to pre-season training.

The Black Cats’ pre-season programme begins on Monday, when the rest of the squad will return to training.

5) Danny Graham not a top Middlesbrough target

Middlesbrough boss Aitor Karanka has revealed that Danny Graham is not a top Middlesbrough target this summer.

‘Boro are on the look-out of a striker and although Karanka admits that bringing Graham to the Riverside on a permanent deal is an option, he would rather look elsewhere.

Graham spent the back-end of last season on loan at Middlesbrough from his current club Sunderland, and is reportedly available for transfer for £1 million, but even the relatively cheap price has not elevated him to Karanka’s first-choice target.

“He [Graham] is always in my mind but I would at this moment prefer to look for other players,” the Middlesbrough boss said to the Gazette.

“But I haven’t forgotten about Danny.

“I don’t know what is Danny’s situation at Sunderland but if we don’t take other options and Danny wants to join us, I know him and he would be good for us but at the moment we are working in other ways.”

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch