But the Mercedes driver was hit with reliability concerns after his car broke down on-track with oil pressure problems. The 2008 world champion remained top of the timesheets on a 1m34.508s, but with 30 minutes remaining in the session he missed valuable long-run experience.
Valtteri Bottas was sixth for Williams, though he lost his engine cover late in the session, ahead of Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen in the McLaren machines. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferarri) and Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso-Renault) completed the top 10.
Meanwhile both Rosberg and Ricciardo will visit the stewards’ office later after allegedly overtaking cars when under red flag conditions during the morning practice. Felipe Massa crashed heavily just before the 30-minute mark in FP1, and both drivers are believed to have overtaken after the session had been stopped.
British Grand Prix - Free Practice 2
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)
- Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)
- Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull-Renault)
- Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault)
- Valtteri Bottas (Williams-Mercedes)
- Jenson Button (McLaren-Mercedes)
- Kevin Magnussen (McLaren-Mercedes)
- Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)
- Jean-Eric Vergne(Toro Rosso-Renault)