We have the steps you need to follow to get the DualShock 4 going without the USB cable.
Sony’s latest DualShock 4 controllers have been useable with PS3 since they launched but only with the use of a USB cable. Now it appears that wireless DualShock 4 controller support has been added to the PS3. As posted over on reddit the functionality to support a DualShock 4 controller wirelessly is available although the PS3 does not read the controller as a Sony specific one so sixaxis, vibration and the PS button still won't work.
To get your DualShock 4 controller working follow these steps.
- Connect DS4 with wire to PS3 then turn on.
- Go to Accessory settings.
- Select Manage Bluetooth Devices, and scan for device.
- While scanning hold the PS & Share buttons on the DS4.
- Select Wireless Controller. The DS4 light should now be white.
- Unplug wire and test it out.
While you’re not going to get full functionality with your DualShock 4 controller yet, you can use the PS button to turn on your PS3 remotely as with a DualShock 3 controller.