Arsenal are looking at strengthening their defence this summer with Bacary Sagna on his way out and the future of Thomas Vermaelen uncertain.
One player they have been linked with is 21-year-old Gremio defender Bressan. The Metro reports that Arsenal have already held talks with Gremio. Wenger would be keen for the defender who is rated as one of the best in the Brazilian league to have a work permit sorted early on so he can go straight into the first-team squad.
Here are five facts about Arsenal target Bressan:
1) He spent seven years at Juventude before joining Gremio in 2013.
2) His full name is Matheus Simonete Bressaneli but just like many other Brazilians he is known by just the one name.
3) Bressan has previously been linked with Santos but a move to Europe now seems more likely
4) He spent time with Thiago Silva in the Juventude squad
5) At 6'1" he isn't the tallest of defenders but is more of a ball-playing footballer who likes to pass the ball out of defence.
Gunners officials have held initial talks with Gremio’s hierachy and now plan to send chief negotiator Dick Law to Brazil for further negotiations.