South-coast latest: Saints want Bruce or Koeman; Jervis leaves Pompey

Southampton Football Club

Today's south-coast roundup brings you the latest news from Southampton, Brighton and Hove Albion, Bournemouth and Portsmouth.

Steve Bruce and Ronald Koeman on Southampton radar

Southampton are looking for either Steve Bruce or Ronald Koeman to fill their vacant manager position after Mauricio Pochettino departed for Tottenham two-weeks ago.

According to a report on the Guardian website Hull boss Bruce is ready to cut ties with the Yorkshire side and take up the post at Southampton.

Hull fans would loathe to lose the Manchester United legend; Bruce deservedly took most of the credit for his side's dramatic improvement in form last season that saw them comfortable survive their first season back in the top flight.

Thankfully for Hull, Ronald Koeman is the clear favourite for the job. The Dutchman left Eredivisie side Feyenoord last month and is said to be keen on managing in the Premier League.

He has a knack of bringing through youngster which appeals to Southampton, and he also has a winning pedigree as he has won the two Dutch titles with Ajax, one with PSV and the Copa del Rey with Valencia.

Liverpool legend Sami Hyypia will bring best out of Brighton says his first coach

Newly appointed Brighton manager Sami Hyypia has been backed by the coach who gave him his first professional footballing contract, Harri Kampman.

Hyypia, who was sacked as Bayer Leverkusen manager in April, took over the reigns at Brighton last Friday signing a three-year deal. 

Former Motherwell and FC Haka manager Kampman gave the 2005 Champions League winner his first pro deal when they were both at Finnish club MyPa. 

He told The Argus: "Sami knows how to talk to players.

“We had a long talk about football when I saw him last season and he has respect for players' views. He is willing to discuss things with them. He is the sort of coach who sees a player as a person.

“He can help them help themselves.”

Bournemouth want Coventry striker Callum Wilson

Bournemouth are said to be one of four sides battling it out for Coventry striker Callum Wilson. The Bournemouth Echo are reporting that Coventry are desperately trying to keep hold of their star striker after rejecting all approaches from Wilson's admirers so far.

Cherries boss Eddie Howe is looking for a replacement for Lewis Grabban who signed for newly relegated Championship side Norwich City last week. It seems it would take an impressive offer for them to part with Wilson, as reports suggest that Bournemouth's have already had a seven figure offer rebuffed by the midland club.

Callum Wilson was third in the League One scoring charts last season, notching 21 goals in 40 appearances for the Sky Blues. No wonder he it's rumoured that Championship favourites Nottingham Forest and League One winning Wolves are reported to be showing real interest.

Portsmouth Jake Jervis leaves for Ross County

It has emerged this morning that Pompey's 22-year-old forward Jake Jervis has signed for Scottish Premiership side Ross County.

Portsmouth decided not to extend the youngster's six-month contract, which expires in July, and Sky are reporting that the deal will go through on July 1st.

County manager Derek Adams said in the Daily Record: “We had to compete with a number of good English league clubs for Jake’s signature so I’m delighted to have him on board. He’ll be a great addition to our squad for next season.”

Since the young striker's trainee days at Birmingham City he has become somewhat of a football league journeyman having loan spells at Hereford, Notts County, Swindon, Preston, Carlisle and Tranmere.

In January 2013 he made a permanent move to Turkey with Elazığspor. His stay was short lived as after four games his contract was cancelled, and thus he returned to England with Portsmouth.

He made 15 appearances for the Fratton Park side last season scoring just four goals.

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch