After a slight delay the Star Citizen Arena Commander module is now live, allowing some backers to test the new multiplayer modes.
“We are very happy to finally share with you the first public build of Arena Commander!” wrote Star Citizen creator Chris Roberts announcing the Arena Commander module as part of the V0.8 update.
“V0.8 will give every qualified backer access to the Vanduul Swarm and Freeflight modes and includes the ability to fly the Aurora, 300i and Hornet. If you haven’t pledged for one of these ships, we’ll give you a loaner that is the closest in class to what you fly; we want everyone with Alpha access (or an Arena Commander pass) to get their first taste of spaceflight!
Version 0.8 also includes multiplayer with Battle Royale and Team modes, although these will only be available to some testers at the outset with more Star Citizen backers getting invites over the next few weeks as new servers are set up.
Roberts also laid out changes coming in the next V0.9 patch.
- Improved client and multiplayer server stability
- General performance optimizations and fixes for hardware specific issues discovered during community testing
- Audio improvements with additional SFX, music, mix, and improvements to the dynamic music system
- Improvements to the HUD to better differentiate the manufacturers, improve ITTS, and add mouse control functionality
- Additional character animations to add immersion to the cockpit and resolve outstanding animation issues
- Further flight model upgrades to better handle unique thruster power combinations and refine the control of each ship
- Additional ship, weapon, item, and thruster tuning to improve the balance of Arena Commander based on community testing
- New multiplayer game mode for public testing along with AI improvements and updates to Vanduul Swarm.
- Hangar bug fixing along with enhanced visuals and animations.
- Cockpit polish with improved damage effects and more dynamic lighting that responds to gameplay events and ship status.
- Some additional weapons and items for use with Arena Commander.
- Update player breathing sound effects and responses to incoming impulses and g-force
For those unfamiliar with Star Citizen a good way to get acquainted is via the video below. This is all 100% gameplay footage no pre-renders!