Actions of Vitalii Sediuk – who tried to look up America Ferrara's skirt at Cannes – will make celebrities more wary and spoil it for fans, says Pitt after incident at Maleficent premiere
Brad Pitt has labelled the Ukrainian prankster who attacked him on the red carpet in Los Angeles last month a "nutter" whom he said tried to bury his face in the actor's crotch.
Vitalii Sediuk, a TV personality, made headlines a week ago after assaulting Pitt at the Hollywood world premiere of Maleficent, starring Angelina Jolie, Pitt's partner. Sediuk was arrested and charged with battery, assault, unlawful activity and interference at a theatrical event, according to Reuters. He pleaded no contest to battery and unlawful activity; the other charges were dismissed as part of a plea deal.
The latest incident was the latest in a long line of celebrity interventions by Sediuk, who two weeks ago was stopped at the Cannes film festival after trying to peer up the skirt of America Ferrara, star of How to Train Your Dragon 2.
Pitt told People magazine that he had been at the El Capitan cinema in Hollywood with his partner and five of their children when the prankster managed to jump the barrier.
"I was at the end of the line signing autographs, when out the corner of my eye I saw someone stage-diving over the barrier at me," he said in a statement. "I took a step back; this guy had latched on to my lapels. I looked down and the nutter was trying to bury his face in my crotch, so I cracked him twice in the back of the head – not too hard – but enough to get his attention, because he did let go. I think he was then just grabbing for a hand hold because the guys were on him, and he reached up and caught my glasses."
Pitt, 50, added: "I don't mind an exhibitionist, but if this guy keeps it up he's going to spoil it for the fans who have waited up all night for an autograph or a selfie, because it will make people more wary to approach a crowd. And he should know, if he tries to look up a woman's dress again, he's going to get stomped."
Speaking to Associated Press on Monday, Sediuk said, "I never hit, I never punched, I never slapped Brad Pitt in the face," he said. "This is absolutely false information. I'm a normal guy, I'm not crazy."
Sediuk, 25, has been sacked by his TV network employer, 1+1, and faces the prospect of a ban from all red-carpet events in the Hollywood area.
Reuters reported that Sediuk was sentenced to 20 days' community service and 36 months' probation. He was ordered to stay 460m (500 yards) from celebrity events, and to stay away from Pitt and Jolie, according to Los Angeles city attorney spokesman Rob Wilson.
Sediuk will attend court again on 8 July.
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010