Since Mario Kart 8’s launch last Thursday 29 May in Japan, and then Europe and the Americas the next day, Nintendo’s flagship race-fest has become the fastest-selling Wii U game ever.
Based on Nintendo’s internal sales figures as at 31 March 2014, the previous seven titles in the Mario Kart series have a combined sales figure of over 100 million units across the globe:
- Super Mario Kart - SNES - 8.76 million
- Mario Kart 64 - N64 - 9.87 million
- Mario Kart: Super Circuit GBA - 5.91 million
- Mario Kart: Double Dash - GameCube - 6.88 million
- Mario Kart DS - DS - 23.56 million
- Mario Kart Wii - Wii - 35.53 million
- Mario Kart 7 - 3DS - 9.62 million
Total: 100.13 million
Can Mario Kart 8 surpass the huge sales of it's predeccesors? We'll have to wait and see. But, one thing is for sure, with a huge upturn in Wii U sales by a massive 666%, Mario Kart looks to be the saving grace of Nintendo's flagship console.
We'll have our review of Mario Kart 8 up on the site some time this week, so keep an eye out.