Roy Keane has reportedly ruled himself out of the running for the Celtic job.
The former Manchester United midfielder was believed to have held talks with the SPL champions over their current managerial vacancy, with Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill confirming that negotiations had taken place.
However, reports today have emerged that the Ireland assistant manager has asked not to be considered for the job, making former West Brom boss Steve Clarke the new favourite for the role.
Roy Keane has asked not to be considered for the managerial vacancy at Celtic, Press Association Sport understands. #CelticManager— PA Dugout (@PA_dugout) June 2, 2014
Roy Keane says he has told Celtic that he doesn't want to be considered for Celtic manager job. Steve Clarke is now favorite to get job.— World Soccer Talk (@worldsoccertalk) June 2, 2014
A source close to the Scottish Champions told Press Association Sport: "Roy was not offered the job - no-one has been offered it yet.
"But he has ruled himself out and asked not to be considered for the position."
Instead, the 42-year-old will continue in his role with the Irish national side, as well as his television punditry with ITV.
By contrast, Clarke, who was sacked from his position at the Hawthorns last December, is now favourite with a number of different bookmakers to succeed Neil Lennon, who announced his departure from the Scottish club this summer.
Keane was previously believed by many to be Celtic's first choice but the new revelation has left the door open for the likes of Clarke, Malky Mackay, Owen Coyle and even outside shot David Moyes.