Arsenal star Bacary Sagna confirms 'talks with several clubs'


Arsenal defender in most revealing statement yet. Frenchman confirms Manchester City contact, but have Manchester United or Chelsea been in touch too?

Bacary Sagna has given the clearest indication yet that he will leave Arsenal, the club he has called home for seven seasons, in order to take up a "new challenge".

Commenting in Le Parisien in quotes that have been translated into English by ESPN and Daily Star, Sagna explained that he has been contacted by "several European and English clubs" and that he is "90 percent certain" that he will leave Arsenal.

"My situation will be sorted out before the World Cup, but I haven't signed for anyone so far," said Sagna, 31, an FA Cup winner with Arsene Wenger's side in the most recent season.

The Frenchman has been speculatively-linked with a number of clubs since the closure of the winter transfer window.

Sagna's Gunners deal expires in one month, at the end of June, and the media have reported that City (Daily Telegraph) are just one of a number of admirers both at home and abroad as Manchester United (Daily Mail), Chelsea (Daily Star), Fenerbahce (L'Equipe), Galatasaray (Daily Mail), AS Monaco and Paris Saint Germain (both The Sun) have all been suggested as possible destinations for the wantaway right back.

"I have agreed [a contract] with no one," clarified Sagna, who stated that it is not a guarantee that he will sign for City, as there may have been other offers too. "I don't have any agreement with Manchester City or with anyone else. I have never set foot there. Several European and English clubs have contacted me. Certain talks have gone further than others, and Manchester City are among them. But today, I'm still an Arsenal player."

Gunners fans may still have clung on to hope that the protracted situation may have been resolved and that Sagna would be pulling on the iconic red and white of North London at the start of next season, as his reliability has been regarded to be an asset throughout his professional career, however, that now appears unlikely, as Sagna explained: "Today, there's a 90 percent chance I will leave and 10 percent that I will stay."

He continued: "I have been asking myself that question for a long time, and it's the time for a new challenge. Arsenal is an extraordinary club that has given me the chance to grow, both in sporting and human terms. It's a family club, I feel good here.

"I've had some very good years here. We all have our own destiny and I will try to find mine. Whatever happens, Arsenal will stay forever in my heart."

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for MANCHESTER CITY team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch