Has Yaya Toure been plotting Manchester City exit for months?

Yaya Touré interview

Was agent Dimitry Seluk's radio outburst on Tuesday part of Yaya Toure's lengthy plan to engineer his departure from Manchester City?

 Toure's future has come in for speculation since his agent claimed his chances of staying at the Etihad were "50/50".

The Ivorian's representative Seluk gave an astonishing interview to talkSPORT on Tuesday evening blasting City for not appreciating the performances of his client.

On the surface, the outburst seemed to be at odds with the general mood at City, after Toure inspired the club to their second Premier League title in three years by topping their scoring charts with 20 goals.

However, looking a little deeper into the situation, it is possible that the Ivory Coast powerhouse has been plotting an exit strategy for several months.

First there was the bizarre assertion that his talents are not respected enough because he is of African descent.

Speaking last month to BBC Sport, the former Barcelona star said: "To be honest, proper recognition has only come from the fans. I don’t want to be hard and I don’t want to be negative, but I want to be honest.

"If [African players] play well and we don't have the recognition from the media, we are not going to be where we want to be.

"If you go to any part of Africa now, people will say, 'yes, we know [Lionel Messi]', but when you come to Europe and say 'Yaya Toure' people will say, 'who is that?' Some will say they know my name but not know my face. But they will know Messi's face."

Toure missing out on the PFA and LMA Player of the Season awards to Liverpool's South American forward Luis Suarez is only likely to have strengthened his viewpoint, whether it was misguided or not.

Then there was the subtle, yet revealing hint that he will leave if a Champions League triumph is achieved at the Etihad.

In a post-season visit to Dubai, Toure was asked about City's chances of winning Europe's premier competition by Sky Sports News, to which he replied: “Next year we will try to bounce back and for me the target is to go and win the Champions League. For me that is the target and then I don’t know, maybe I will go to another club!”

Now the third phase of the plot appears to be in motion with Toure's agent acting as the mouthpiece for a disgruntled player who feels unloved at the club where he is paid over £200,000 every seven days.

nobody said congratulations to Yaya for his performances, and that made Yaya think the club doesn't respect him and don’t give him enough attention.
Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-agent-reveals-toures-man-city-future-not-100-certain-and-hints-barcelona-move#s2tjSROkKCgkmJYZ.99

"Nobody said congratulations to Yaya for his performances," said Seluk in the radio interview. "And that made Yaya think that the club doesn't respect him and doesn't give him enough credit."

Toure only signed a new four-year deal at the Etihad in April 2013, and while it is possible that the 31-year-old is using the media as leverage in inking improved terms with City, perhaps he is starting accelerate his escape?

One way or another, Toure indicated on Twitter on Tuesday that a decision will be made after the World Cup.

He tweeted: "Everything Dimitry said is true . He speaks for me . I will give an interview after world cup to explain"

Register for MANCHESTER CITY team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch