With United in real need of some new exciting and effective wingers at Old Trafford, the link makes sense. So for those who want to know more about Depay, here are five facts to get you started:
1) Depay was born in Moordrecht Holland in 1994. He started playing for PSV’s youth team in 2006 and ultimately made his senior debut five years later after being given a chance by the club’s interim manager Phillip Cocu.
2) When Cocu returned as permanent manager this season, Depay suddenly found himself with far more first-team chances.
3) The 20-year-old made 43 appearances for his club, scoring 14 goals and providing 10 assists in the process.
4) Depay is a member of van Gaal’s Dutch squad for this summer’s World Cup. He currently has five caps for Holland’s senior team. Prior to that he scored eight goals for Holland’s under-17s and seven for their under-19s, while he also made seven appearances for the under-21s but failed to score in that time.
5) With a contract until the summer of 2017, it will take a big offer to prise the player away from PSV. But with an outstanding dribbling ability and with a knack for free-kicks he could be exactly what United need to add some energy to their wing-play.