Arsenal end nine-year trophy drought, win FA Cup

FA Cup

The Gunners came from two goals down to beat Hull City in the final of the FA Cup.

Arsenal came from two goals down to beat Hull City 3-2 in the final of the FA Cup on Saturday.

The Gunners conceded twice in the opening eight minutes at London’s Wembley Stadium, but then staged a remarkable comeback to end their nine-year trophy drought.

Arsene Wenger’s side clawed back to level the contest at 2-2 inside 90 minutes and then scored an extra-time winner.

The Tigers took the lead after just four minutes through James Chester. A corner was floated out to Tom Huddlestone, whose volley towards goal was flicked in by the defender from just yards out.

Hull doubled their advantage on eight minutes when Curtis Davies slammed home from close range. Stephen Quinn crossed the ball from the left flank towards Alex Bruce, whose header on target was well saved by Arsenal goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski. However, Davies was lurking inside the box and shot home the rebound.

The Yorkshire club could have made it 3-0 just minutes later had Kieran Gibbs not cleared Bruce’s header off the line.

Then on 17 minutes the Gunners gave themselves a lifeline when Santi Cazorla scored with a brilliant free kick from 25 yards.

Wenger’s men struggled to create any meaningful opening for the rest of the first half, but stepped up their game after the break.

The North London outfit equalised on 71 minutes through Laurent Koscielny, who stabbed home from just yards out after Bacary Sagna had connected with Cazorla’s corner.

Gibbs and Olivier Giroud both had chances to put Arsenal ahead for the first time in the match in the subsequent minutes, but their failure to take them meant that the game went to extra time.

Giroud was unlucky not to score as early as the fourth minute of the extended period when his header came back off the crossbar.

However, in the 109th minute of the match, Aaron Ramsey scored a brilliant goal that eventually proved to be the winner. Yaya Sanogo and Giroud combined to set up the Wales international midfielder inside the box to fire in past Hull goalkeeper Allan McGregor.

Hull came close to taking the contest to penalties with two chances in the final minutes, but they failed to make the most of them.

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch