Dortmund 'will prove this club is best' for Manchester United target

Marco Reus

Borussia Dortmund executive says the club will prove Manchester United target Marco Reus’ decision to stay for next season is the right one.

Manchester United have been linked with a score of top performers from around Europe ahead of summer of heavy spending on the transfer market.

Players with creativity and pace at their disposal remain a particular priority on the list of needs, two traits heavily-linked Marco Reus has in his locker.

The German posted a sensational record of 16 goals and 13 assists in the Bundesliga this season, and has looked an ideal signing for the Red Devils given his versatility in attack.

So of course, there was considerable disappointment in the United camp when the 24-year-old announced he won’t be leaving the Westfalenstadion this summer earlier on Sunday.

Reus told Kicker: “I can definitely say that I will play for Dortmund next season. I don’t have to keep stressing how well I feel here.”

But if the 24-year-old’s statement seemed to offer any hope for United to revive their interest in the summer of 2015, it has proved short-lived.

Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke has now declared that the star’s loyalty will be met with efforts from the club to secure his long-term future.

“We are going to prove to Marco that this is the best club for him and want to keep him with us for a long time to come," Watzke told Bild.

That’s quite a commitment from both club and player - one that doesn’t seem breakable in the foreseeable future.

If Reus’ words were the blow that struck down United’s hopes of landing his services, Watzke’s are surely the nail in the coffin.

The German international certainly won’t be on his way to Old Trafford this summer, and if Dortmund come good on their promise, won’t be in a year’s time either.

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch