The Reds' title challenge ultimately fell short as Manchester City ran out as winners of the Premier League on Sunday, and manager Brendan Rodgers will be frustrated as crucial dropped points to Chelsea and Crystal Palace in the run-in to the end of the season cost his side dearly.
Despite missing out on the crown, Liverpool fans can be in buoyant mood as Champions League football returns to Anfield, meaning Rodgers will need to strengthen his squad this summer to cope with the rigours of competing domestically and in Europe.
Whilst it's the defence that needs the most work doing to it, it seems Rodgers is also looking to add cover for Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez by targeting more firepower - despite Liverpool racking up over 100 goals in the Premier League this season.
Hamburg striker Lasogga has been linked with a move to Merseyside as a result, but who is he? Here are five facts on the centre forward...
1. Lasogga started his career as a 15-year-old with local side FC Gladbeck, before moving on to the likes of Schalke, Rot-Weiss Essen, Wattenscheid, Wolfsburg and eventually Bayer Leverkusen.
2. Whilst he became a star of the Leverkusen youth setup, he struggled to break into the first team, and decided to move on in search of regular playing time with Hertha Berlin.
3. Lasogga started to show his ability in the capital, hitting 22 goals in 63 games for Hertha and establishing himself as one of the top young striking talents in Germany.
4. After recovering form a torn anterior cruciate ligament injury, Lasogga made a loan move to Hamburg, where he has hit 13 goals in 18 starts despite their lowly position in the Bundesliga table.
5. Now 22, Lasogga was also a part of the Germany Under-21 side, where he scored four goals in 11 games to further illustrate his goalscoring ability.