With the Premier League season coming to an end yesterday and the World Cup almost upon us, it is set to be a busy summer in the transfer market for English sides.
The report indicates that Jose Mourinho is ready to make the first move in the race to land his signature, but what do we know about him?
- Cancelo is a 19-year-old right-back that has been in Benfica’s youth system since 2008.
- The youngster made his senior debut for the Estadio da Luz giants in a cup fixture against Gil Vicente back in January.
- His league debut came on Saturday in the final game of the season against Porto in a 2-1 defeat, where he started the game before being replaced on 65 minutes.
- Cancelo has been in the Portuguese age-grade levels for some years, starting out at under-16’s nationally back in 2010 and also playing for the under-17, 18 and 19 teams.
- Manchester City and Liverpool have been linked with the defender earlier in the year, with reports that he has been scouted on a number of occasions while playing for Benfica B.
The video above shows Cancelo in action, with the teenager obviously confident in possession and keen to get forward at every given opportunity.
He has been likened to former Chelsea defender Jose Bosingwa in the video title.