A selection of the latest news from Tottenham Hotspur on this Wednesday evening.
Tottenham favourite Ossie Ardiles says the players have been the problem at the club this season, rather than the Head Coach on the touchline.
Tim Sherwood replaced Andre Villas-Boas in December and the club has missed out on the summer objective of qualifying for the Champions League. There has also been a lot of speculation recently that Sherwood won’t be the man in charge at White Hart Lane at the start of next season, despite signing an 18 month deal when he took the job.
Ardlies told TalkSport: “I believe that the players we have bought in this season have been the problem. They are not performing the way we expected.
“At the end of the day, whoever the manager is, AVB earlier on in the season and later on Tim, there is not a lot you can do with the kind of players we have right now. Whoever comes in, or if Tim stays, he has to make a big rebuilding of the team.”
One of the men that has been prominently linked with the Spurs job for next season is Ajax boss Ronald De Boer, but the London Evening Standard has reported that any prospect of him taking up the role has been dented by their sporting director Marc Overmars.
Overmars confirmed there had been contact between the two clubs over De Boer, but the report indicates it was a case of checking on the Dutchman’s contract situation rather than a formal approach.
There is also indications that Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino is the leading candidate to take over at White Hart Lane, as he would fit the club’s structure better.
Inter Milan may be interested in midfielder Sandro according to TalkSport. However it would depend if the Serie A side are successful in their attempts to try and lure Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel to the club.