All the latest news, views and transfer rumours from St. James' Park...
Newcastle's shocking run of six consecutive defeats came to an end with a much needed 3-0 win over Cardiff City, but it hasn't done much to appease the disgruntled fans on Tyneside, who still want manager Alan Pardew to be sacked. The Magpies boss - if he keeps his job - will be hoping to improve his squad this summer but has predicted a difficult window for the club.
“It is difficult. But we hope to recruit well,” Pardew said. “We have done that since I have been here really. We lost a good player in the last window [midfielder Yohan Cabaye, bought by Paris Saint-Germain for £20m]. We need to replace him for sure, maybe bring in three or four and move a couple of positions as well," he added.
The aforementioned unhappy supporters carried out a protest against manager Pardew in Saturday's win over the Bluebirds, and whilst the Magpies boss had suggested that the atmosphere at St. James' Park made it difficult for his players, midfielder Vurnon Anita didn't feel that way.
"The atmosphere wasn’t difficult for us, because we knew what we needed to do and just focused on that. I think the opposition was scared as well by all the noise, so it was OK for us," said the Dutchman.
Pardew has been handed a timely boost though, as defender Fabrizio Coloccini has pledged his future to the club. The Argentine international is club captain at Newcastle but had previously stated that he wanted to return to Argentina, only for the former Deportivo La Coruna man to say he will stay this summer.
“I am going to be here,” said Coloccini. “I had personal problems. Sometimes it is tough. You have to decide between the problems and the work."
“Sometimes, it’s too difficult. Now, it’s finished and next season I will be here. I’m looking forward to improving – we all want the best for Newcastle United." he added.