A report in the Daily Mail on Monday claimed Tottenham Hotspur were in talks to sign Hadjuk Split midfielder Andrija Balic.
Spurs’ sporting director Fanco Baldini was said to be discussing a possible move for a fee in the region of £1.8million, although the Croatian side were believed to be holding out for £4million.
But who exactly is Balic? Here are five facts about the player to get you started:
1) Balic is a 16-year-old defensive midfielder who is predominantly right-footed. He is the latest in an increasingly long line of young talents being produced by Hadjuk Split, following in the footsteps of the likes of Chelsea-bound Mario Pasalic.
2) Balic is said to have been scouted by Tottenham when Croatia’s under-18s played their English counterparts earlier this season. The midfielder was part of a side that one 2-1 on two occasions against the same opposition, although he did feature only as a substitute on both occasions – playing a total of 44 minutes.
3) The youngster made his senior debut for Hadjuk in March, when he came on for the last 15 minutes of a 1-0 win against RNK Split.
4) Balic has also been named in the match-day squad on two other occasions, although he failed to see any game-time against either NK Osijek or Hrv Dragovoljak.
5) He is said to be attracting the attention of a number of clubs across Europe, with Ajax, Borussia Dortmund and Marseille among those said to be interested. The Dutch side even had a reported offer of £500,000 rejected earlier in the campaign.