Jose Mourinho had already intimated that he would make a number of changes for Chelsea’s Premier League match against Liverpool on Sunday afternoon; and so it proved, with the most notable inclusion that of Tomas Kalas.
The defender was handed his full debut against the Reds, and for those fans wanting to know a little more about him, here are five facts to get you started:
1) Kalas is a 20-year-old who plays predominantely at centre-back. However, he is also comfortable playing as a right full-back when required.
2) Kalas was born in the Czech Republic and began his footballing career there, playing for his hometown club Sigma Olumouc in 2009. Two years later he moved to Chelsea.
3) Like many of the club’s youngsters he spent a loan spell at Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem where he made 58 appearances between 2011 and 2013.
4) The player has recently enjoyed a run of games on the substitutes’ bench, but his only appearances to date have been against Galatasaray in the Champions League and Arsenal in the League Cup.
5) Kalas has featured for the Czech Republic at every level from under-17 to the senior side. He made his senior debut in 2012 in a 3-0 win over Slovakia.