'Investment fund' tried to buy £15m Manchester United target in February

Manchester United Old Trafford 2

Cruzeiro playmaker Everton Ribeiro has been the subject of an odd bid this year.

Several reports toward the end of last year linked Manchester United with a move for Cruzeiro playmaker Everton Ribeiro. He was also been linked with moves to Russia, China and Qatar - but he has admitted himself that the idea of playing for Manchester United is a dream:

"I will continue doing my job here at Cruzeiro but plan on getting to a big club. It's a dream I've had since young, I've always liked Manchester United."

He was coming off the back of an incredible season for Cruzeiro in Brazil as they took the Campeonato Brasileiro title by storm - finishing the campaign as champions. And Ribeiro received the accolade as the tournament's best player - such was his influence on the title win.

In the end Ribeiro never made the move - as he wanted to play in the Copa Libertadores for his current team.

But as the summer rolls into view could United move for him again?

The likes of Shakhtar Donetsk and Napoli are also said to be keen now - whilst another attacking midfielder is perhaps the last thing United need right now.

But he is still a player that is dreaming of playing for United - and he is a sensational talent despite a quieter season this campaign.

And Cruzeiro have now admitted that they rejected a bid for the player in February.

But it was not a bid from a club - but a third party looking to buy out some of his ownership.

Ribeiro, like many Brazilian based players, has his player rights split - with Cruzeiro owning 60% and a third party owning the other 40%.

It appears another group wanted a slice of the pie with director of football Alexandre Mattos confirming:

“We had a $16 million offer from Zenit for Dede and an investment fund offer for Everton Ribeiro but we turned both of them down. That was about two or three months ago."

Ribeiro is therefore still available - however negotiations would be complex as United would need to purchase his rights from two separate parties.

Perhaps it is hassle whoever replaces Moyes might want to just avoid.

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch